Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Just Wondering

I have a question. More for Moms to answer. What time do you get up in the morning? That is on a regular basis. Do you catch a nap during the day if you can? Yes I am asking because I think I might be a whiner. There I said it and no I do not think I feel any better that I did. A girlfriend and I were talking the other day about this. I am trying to figure out the best time to fit in exercise on a regular basis and I am having a hard time of it. So let me spill my thoughts to you and I would love you input. My day starts at 6:30 for the most part. (Except when my honey lets me sleep in on the Sat then it starts at 8:00.) Caleb is usually up at 6:30. He lays down for a nap around 9:30ish. So I can exercise then and have time for a shower. Then by the time I am done he is up. The thing I do not like about that is I have to wait to get my day started. Yes I can get things done around the house but I like to get up and get ready for the day. Not look like a slob for half the day. Or I could get up at 5:00 when Tony leaves for work and get the exercise in then. I would be able to get ready for my day before the kids wake up and they will have a Momma that is ready to meet their needs. Well that is the way it is supposed to work right? I did that for a week and I tell you what I was a tired Momma by the end of the day. I should have said worn out. So while at work in the evening I am thinking this is so crazy. Does a extra hour and a half of sleep really help that much? Or is it all in my head? So tell me when your day starts. If you could have your choice when would you fit the exercise in between the two choices?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The alarm goes off sometime shortly before 5:30. And as far as exercise goes... Do the stairs to Ella's babysitter with the car seat count? Oh and then the stairs to go pump... hahahaha If I were to exercise, I would do it before 5:30 so that I could exercise, get ready for work, get the kids ready and leave. Jeff and I did that for a couple months before I got pregnant. We would lock the house up and go walking/running before we got ready for work.

Julie said...

I am not a mom, but I have found it is worth getting exercise overwith early. I never have to worry about something "coming up" that will hinder me from doing it, and like you said, I can start the day fresh. 5:00 is so early though!! If you are working late in the evening that might be too much. Feeling exhausted every day is no fun! So, I guess I don't know which is better for you, but it is worth it to get it in no matter when!!!!!

Jenny said...

I would say that the 9:30 exercise time is better. Why? Because, yes, that extra hour and a half sleep really does make a big difference! Our bodies need sleep to fight off illness so much! I can usually fight off a sore throat just by getting more sleep when I feel it coming on. Another reason is... I think it's very difficult to take a nap in the middle of the day... whenever I do, I feel like I "wasted" a few prime hours, sometimes I feel worse physically after the nap, and often the kids' schedules don't cooperate for me to sleep in the afternoon... or Josiah may need help with his school, etc. So, while I can occasionally squeeze a nap in the afternoon..it doesn't usually work well for me.

And, you won't really be looking like a slob...hee hee. That part was funny...comb your hair, throw it in a ponytail, put your workout clothes on and make a race of it to see how much housework you can get done by 9:30. Don't feel bad for not showering until 11 or whenever... that's better than what many do!

Also, if you get more sleep in the morning, then you'll be able to do your best at work and still have energy to entertain your husband when you get home.

I'm sure you'll get many different answers to this...but as a mom, I find that I'm not my best mom if I'm tired and cranky, my patience is lower and my effort goes down. And the children are my priority and my main job. Nothing else is worth doing a poor job, and for me... I do a poor job when I'm tired. Plus, if you have the 9:30 exercise time, then you will never be tempted at 5:00 to hit snooze and then end up not doing it. (Which I think would happen if you work late and are up late) So, it seems like a more fail-safe plan...as long as you could mentally get past the "slob for half (more like 1/4) the day part". Those are my thoughts!

Valued & Vulnerable said...

Being a mom of 5...or 6...I lost count!! Getting as much sleep in the morning is essential. Most nutritionalists will tell you it is far better to work out every other day with more intensity for shorter amounts of time (keeping your heart rate up…keep in mind you should be able to talk while working out, but not want to for very long). So I would say, work out hard every other day as close to the time you wake up as possible. Then you can have a nice morning the next day of sleep, play time with Caleb or whatever your heart desires. That’s my 2 cents. Take it for whatever it is worth! Plus a fun, rested, happy, caring Mom is way better than a skinny crabby one!! Love you, Bonnie

I am truly blessed said...

You asked when my our days start, but with this new baby, I am still trying to figure out when one day ends compared to when the next day starts. LOL!! As far as exercising goes, I am never as productive at 5 in the morning...I would be too tired. I am much more likely to exercise when the little ones are sleeping at naptime...that is still pretty early in the day. We have an awesome eliptical machine that we just got before baby was born and exercise bike too. I cant wait to be able to get on them both!!Just do whatever works best for you...whatever time that may be

The Browning Family said...

What is working out??? It's been so long I forgot. Anyway - I get up usually around 7am. I try to get my coffee/Bible time in, but every other day I (dreamin world) would like to get a 20 min. run in. I have been successful here and there, but with a sudden onslaught of illnesses - it's been a long term goal. Anyhow - sleep is important. Sometimes the most spiritual thing you can do is ... sleep. Kiddos don't deserve the least of you. Neither does hubby. Hope that is helpful.

Jennifer said...

okay so i decided your workout routine could be sucking in and flexing muscles while lifting candles and kids. that would get everything in and you would still be able to sleep. although that method may not be to effective...