Thursday, September 11, 2008

Yum Soup

Today is very chilly out. I think it is in the low 40's. The weather is changing so quickly. It made me think of soup. For me I am more of a chili girl or cream based soups, I know cream bases soups are not good for us. So it made me think of one of my low fat cook books that I have. I haven't made this soup since I lived in Hawaii. (I know you are thinking why in the world would you eat soup in hot Hawaii. Well I guess you just try to keep traditions of what you would do if the seasons were changing.) Tony and I are trying hard to lose our weight. We are finally inspired by the fact that we are not healthy and the weight needs to come off. We have fabulous friends that are encouraging us and holding us accountable. The encouragement is a blessing to me and knowing that I am going to email everything that I put in my mouth to my friend helps me to not eat things that I know that I shouldn't because she is going to remind me of my goals! I am so proud of my husband for trying so hard! So on that note, here is a corn chowder recipe that you might like. Of course you could use regular cream and real bacon but it is really good with the light cream and turkey bacon or with no bacon at all. You should at least try it once the healthier way. I have also added some chicken before it makes it a bit more hardy.

Corn Chowder:

2 slices turkey bacon cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup yellow pepper
2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
10 oz cubed potatoes
2 cups whole corn kernels
1/4 cup light cream

Cook bacon and place on paper towel then crumble and save for later. In 3 quart pot add onion and bell pepper and tsp of water. Saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to boil; lower heat. Simmer partially covered, 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Add corn; simmer 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat; cool slightly.

Place two cups of soup into food processor or blender; puree until smooth. Pout back into sauce pan. Stir in cream and heat to serving temperature. Top each serving with bacon.

4 1cup servings. 198 calories, 76g protein, 6g fat, 32g carbohydrate, 149mg sodium, 15mg cholesterol, 4g dietary fiber.

Weight Watchers Complete Cookbook p.87

4 comments:

Valued & Vulnerable said...

Yummy! We are quite the soup eating family. I will add this one on the menu soon.

Julie said...

Looks great!! I will add it to my soup rotation! :)

I am truly blessed said...

Sounds yummy. I bet it would be good simmered in a crockpot all day also. I use my crockpot a lot....will have to try it that way.

Jenny said...

Ooohh... that sounds yummy! I will try it also!